Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I've Got Happy Feet

The 3 week Detox plan....drum roll please...


To start off my mornings I get to drink a Clearvite shake- 8 oz. It's sort of a ramp up, wean off type of program with this stuff. The first 4 days I drank it just before breakfast, days 5-7 it's before breakfast and dinner; days 8-14 before all 3 meals; days 15-17 before breakfast and dinner; days 18-21 back to one before breakfast. Today is day 5. Clearvite is an enzyme based, multi vitamin, mineral & herbal dietary supplement powder. I've just mixed it with water, because we've run out of almond milk. I chose the Vanilla flavor this time, but it tastes like a blueberry muffin. I suppose that's because there is dried blueberry powder in the ingredients. The kids and Anthony are also taking part in this detox shake...because it certainly isn't going to hurt them. The kids are getting a half dose. I'm gonna take this opportunity to give them all some props. <<Props>>
Of course it wouldn't be a good detox program without a wonderful diet to follow, now would it? It's pretty paleo-esque, so not too different from what we've been doing. However- it doesn't allow my indulgences of gluten free ginger snap cookies, popcorn with a movie, a pot of coffee a day (hey...some days are worse than others...and our pot is small.), or coconut milk ice cream. That's right. No sweets. On the paper it says no caffeine, but he told me I could have a small cup of coffee occasionally. Primarily because of the TH 1 vs. TH 2 dominance. I know I didn't go into all of that yet, but that will have to be another post. Suffice it to say, it's very possible that caffeine may help my autoimmunity, if I'm TH 1 dominant (which most Hashi's patients are). Hot diggity!
Back to the diet. What to have: Lots of water, water, water, herbal teas and decaf green tea. Fresh fruits, veggies, and beans are allowed, but we don't eat beans (Unless it's Chipotle time!!) because of the lectins in them. Here's a post to read about that. The only oils allowed are olive, coconut, and flaxseed. As far as protein, it's mostly fish (no shellfish), chicken, turkey, and lamb. What NOT to have: Eggs- but since my test was negative, I am allowed to eat them. (Can I get a shout out?!?) Normally beef is nixed, but once I said we only eat beef from 100% grass fed sources, he crossed that out. The same about dairy. Normally ALL dairy is out, even butter...but he crossed butter out too when I said it was from grass fed cows. The same went for meat with nitrates. We can't have those- but we buy nitrate free meats. He seemed surprised and happy with the diet we were already on. Does that mean we get a gold star? So- no dairy, grains, legumes (including peanuts), soy and soy products, sugar and artificial sweeteners, sodas, fruit juices, tomatoes, white potatoes, meat with nitrates (bacon, hotdogs, canned meat, sausage, cold cuts, etc...), and anything prepared with gluten.

With my meals, 3 times a day, I'm taking this stuff called GTA. It's got selenium, porcine gladular concentrate, superoxide dismutase and catalase. This product is for the high TSH. It's sort of like a natural Levothyroxine product (supporting my thyroid).

*Ugh* and *Sigh*~ Twice a day, because of my poor vitamin D level I am subject to ingest this yellow liquid Vitamin D called Ultra-D Complex. Don't be jealous or anything, but it tastes like fish with a hint of lemon. I'll just say -it throws me and I make a face each time I down the 2 teaspoons (4000 IUs) like a shot. (Daily total is 8000 IUs) So much so, that I just looked at the bottle now to read the label...and it says "Orange Flavor." Who could tell?!? It's cod liver oil, some other stuff, and some more "fish body oil." The stories are true about cod liver oil. But- I am an adult. I can hack it. Want some ironic observations? #1-The vitamin D drops the rest of the fam gets taste like nothing. They drop the drops directly into their mouths. (It's from Carlson) #2- The Omega 3 Fish oil liquid from http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/ actually has zero fish oil taste- and many flavors to choose from. Right now they are on chocolate flavor. If my kids remind me it's time for the fish oil- you know it's not bad at all. #3- My Ultra-D complex has very little omega 3s, and the SFH kind has bunches and bunches. It's just not right. I suppose that the D Complex is necessary because it has the other things like Vitamin A, Biotin, B6, etc... but when this program is over...I hope I can join my family once again.

Then comes the fun. I get to use this super duper cream ON MY FEET 3 times a day! I know it's a side benefit, but I'm telling you after 5 days, my feet just may be softer than yours! (I mean, when's the last time you rubbed your feet with lotion even just once a day for 5 days in a row?) It's called OxiCell. It has a powerful antioxidant in it called Glutathione. You can actually get this stuff in IV form. The next best way it's absorbed is through vascular areas- one popular place is the bottom of your feet! I sense at least few foot massages in my future...

This plan is hard....and it's not hard. It's hard when I'm at work this past weekend, starving as usual, and a fellow gluten free buddy offers a piece of his gluten free pizza to me. I instinctly reach down into the box, pull a piece up close to my nose to smell the yumminess, then remember..."I can't have those tomatoes!" I pick off the tomatoes quickly so I can sink my teeth into the cheese pizza. Wait... cheese! I can't have dairy! So I stand there...looking longingly at the already folded in half, small triangle goodness. Luckily my friend knows me and what I'm doing, and didn't hold it against me or roll his eyes (too much, anyways). Never even thinking that the crust probably had some sort of grain in it, I put it down. I have witnesses.
Another co-worker brought in this too good to be true pumpkin/whipped cream/cool whip dip thing that I swear I wanted to grab my spoon and the bowl and take it and hide in the med room and eat it all. But it had dairy and sugar- so I didn't even taste it- I just smelled it. I was sad for a little, but I'm ok now. I just thought of my kids and their chant, "Gluten is bad, protein is good, don't be sad, eat what you should."...and just subbed "sugar" for "gluten." Cute. Work is the hardest. Nurses' stations and sweet treats just go-together, and I sometimes feel like the oddball. However- one doctor brought in carrot sticks and celery this weekend and specifically said it was because he knew I was eating healthy. It definitely made me smile.

It's not really that hard to eat like I'm supposed to though, say, in my home. Everything here is fair game. Except the GF ginger snaps I put on the tip top shelf in the pantry... I better be able to have one in 2.2 weeks. We have meat, veggies, fats, and nuts. We ran out of fruit, and I'm not so sure we should buy as much as before -until these 3 weeks are up. As a friend of mine stated about herself, "Even a piece of dried fruit sends me on a wild sugar safari." I am the same. Caffeine: I have gone for 3 days without coffee (by choice) to just see. Probably not a great idea, since it was also the first few days without sweets. What a combo!! Yes, I am quite moody, ask the kids. Tomorrow when I wake up, I will have a small cup and attempt to save what's left of my reputation.

The great thing is the feeling I get when I make the right choice. These "hard" choices get so much easier with each choice. It's past midnight as I write this, so when I wake up, it'll be day 6. Day 6 will be easier than day 5 (PLUS- I'll have some coffee!). Day 2 was easier than day 1. In fact, I had GF pizza on day 1 at a friend's house during a birthday party. <And I wish that one could get a pass- it was homemade, and it was gooood.> Once since then, I had ground beef with tomato sauce. It was cooked, and we ate it. But now I'm on a roll, as they say. Once I was successful with a little, it gave rise to go further and be better. Who knows- maybe by the end of this, that Ultra-D Complex won't make me make a face.

1 comment:

  1. Very true! Just what we tell our children. Each choice for right made makes it easier to make a right choice next time. While each time you choose wrong it becomes that much easier to choose wrong again. You go,girl!

    ReplyDelete

Do You Have Hypothyroidism?