Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Wagon- It's a Love-Hate Thing

I can hardly understand how 2 weeks can disappear just like *that*. Time flies when you can "cheat" with your meals...
The first day off of my Clearvite regimen, this was my breakfast:
 As you can see, I wasted no time at all to eat a Trader Joe's Gluten-free Gingersnap with a pat of butter on top...or 2. I made these paleo pumpkin pancakes with pecans on top with raw honey... and with more butta! The sausage is also from TJ's. The oily look to the black coffee is coconut oil. Enjoyable? Sure!
-->Sidebar- My coffee 1 year ago would not recognize the coffee I drink today. I used to use 1/4 (or more) International Delight Flavored Creamer, 3/4 coffee, plus a splenda. (I thought that was so much better than sugar). I gradually went to the Sugar free ID Flavored Creamer. Then dropped the splenda. Then I went to NO splenda. Then I went to half and half or heavy cream. Then black. Now I add coconut oil for the health benefits. I used to drink it for the sugary sweetness- now I drink it (and love it) for another reason apparently, because it does not even resemble the coffee of days of old.. <-- end sidebar.

However, the sugary goodness of my 1st meal? It was dangerous. By the end of the 2nd day, I was gobbling down 20 or so dark chocolate almonds in a single bound...Well, in like 10 minutes or so. ("No one can eat just one!") The justification was that I was "off" my strict diet. What a sucker. You really have no idea how much your body wants that junk until you go without it for awhile, and then let your guard down.

Backup a sec.
In the beginning of my 3rd week with the Clearvite, I asked my doc if I could drink my sweet "Afterglow" recovery shake after a workout, because I hadn't been. He said after a workout was fine, no problem. Well- I'm telling you no lie. I had finished that shake at the gym, hopped in the van, called my husband, and I was W-I-R-E-D. I hardly remember what I said, but it felt like my eyes were as big as baseballs, and I could see EVERYTHING so clear. I had drank that shake 3-4 times a week since May with no such effect. Zero. Our bodies must just become numb under our noses. But, essentially, just because we don't feel the buzz that cupcake or candybar gives us, doesn't mean our bodies aren't being sent for a ride each time. And for the record, I felt that high feeling from the shake only when I was not eating any other forms of sugar.

Since my breakout session with sweets, I am now back on the wagon. But it took several days. Thanksgiving wasn't hard like I thought it might be. Our 1st Paleo Turkey Day was actually a hit. The only questionable ingredients or menu items had were: There was raw honey in the salad dressing; Anthony made gluten free cornbread (corn is a grain); and I did make the dessert (Butternut Squash Creme Brulee) with muscavado (a type of organic pure sugar). All in all- Not too shabby for newbies! During this time, I was still eating gingersnaps at will...at least a couple everyday. Plus those dark chocolate covered almonds... What is it about biting into the chocolate, and taking the chocolate shell apart in your mouth?!?

Here's what our Thanksgiving Day Meal looked like:

Appetizers- Pecan stuffed dates (think pecan pie!), Strawberry salad, Red beets with Pistachio butter



14 lb Turkey and cranberry sauce (looks so small on that huge platter!), Brussels sprouts and bacon slaw, Steamed sweet potatoes/apples/cranberries, gluten free cornbread, carrot souffle, mashed cauliflower, ground beef stuffing (no grains used).
-Most recipies were obtained from websites listed as my favorite sites on the right sidebar-


The sugar consumption came to a hault the night my husband's car broke down on me...on a work night. I was worrying a bit about the repairs and such...and fretting how I was going to get home at the end of my shift in the middle of the night. A Public Safety Officer had gone to the gas station to pick up some coolant for my car, and came back with three gas-station hot chocolates for the nurses. "Oh, come on, you're having a rough night!", was what I heard. I drank that whole thing. Bottoms up, and tapped on the base. It was killer. nom nom nom. And afterwards I felt weak. I didn't really need that chocolate flavoring, HFCS, sugar, and other things I couldn't pronounce. It certainly wasn't helping me- especially in these 6 months. It actually probably set me back mentally and physically (After you taste that, it's harder to resist next time). Despite what they say about having "cheat" days every now and then...Sometimes it's just easier NOT to cheat. Especially if you have a goal in mind.- And I do. So I stopped with the treats.




These are my new buddies. The 1st is that yellow AdrenaCalm cream that smells like vitamins. That and the Adaptocrine capsules are helping my adrenal glands work appropriately again. I do both of those 3 times a day. (I will say- for the cream- the middle time each day is a challenge, and I do miss it too often.
Interfase. >evil smirk< I started this almost 2 weeks ago. It is basically breaking down the outer membrane of the parasites that have made my intestine their home. I will take this twice a day on an empty stomach for 30 days. After which, I will take the capsules that kill the parasites all together. So far, so good. No problems with my gut as far as I can tell. Taking the Interfase at night on an empty stomach is helping me stay conscious of the need to not eat before bed. Helpful... and aggravating too.

I will be getting my labs drawn next week! The numbers I am most curious about are my Thyroid antibody levels. I want to know if they've gotten lower that the 500s they were before. Having labs to look forward to is also helping me stay focused with my food choices. And, of course...it also helps that I ate the last chocolate almond yesterday.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Have Hypothyroidism?