Monday, October 25, 2010

Move over, Anthrax

Prior to starting this treatment plan, Dr. Matthews required a meeting that also included my better half. He said it was because my partner had to know what was going to be involved in the 6 month course. No doubt that it's better to have both spouses on board with such a lifestyle change...the drop out rate is higher when one spouse doesn't understand the importance of the necessary tweeks. It's good to be married to Anthony and have such incredibly willing kids. Being alone in this would be tough. I'm pretty sure I was ahead of the curve because I had already eliminated gluten and dairy. The rest of the peeps in the house also had nixed gluten and had almost entirely eliminated dairy- except for a week when Anthony picked up some raw milk in South Carolina and "sampled" a gallon and a half of it. Yeah- they all enjoyed that week. But I wasn't comfortable continuing it until we knew what was ok and what wasn't in this whole autoimmune thing. The kids have half my genetic makeup, so I'm looking out for their health too. (I'll describe my close family's health in another post someday.)
It was during this meeting he spoke to us about the cost of treatment ($5200) and what was included. Anthony felt we didn't have a choice but to give it a try.
When the meeting was over, we went home to figure out our finances. It is frustrating to know I am doing my best to stay as healthy as possible and prevent myself from becomming a statistic, yet insurance wouldn't recognize something like this. To be clear, I said "frustrated"...not "surprised."

A little over a week later, I met with Dr. Matthews to get started. He sent me home with some lab orders for LabCorp and some mail-away lab kits. Once the results trickled in, I would be started on my personalized journey.
The labs he needed from me were from my blood, saliva, stool, and urine. I was wondering if my earwax was feeling left out. Oh well...If it's going to help me get to my goal...bring it on. I got the stool sample out of the way quickly. The test was for bacteria, yeast, and parasites I believe. It was quite interesting- a little spork attached to the inside of the specimen lid for your convenience. How very thoughtful. I'm glad Anthony worked late that night. Nurse or not, yuck is still yuck. Privacy has it's perks in times like these.

The next morning came quickly, and as usual, I was starving. But wait! First I had to spit into this vial as much saliva I could muster...about 4 mls were needed. I couldn't even brush my teeth 1st. It took like 15 minutes. Then I headed out the door for some fasting labs at LabCorp. They drew 5 tubes of blood and took a urine sample there. I couldn't wait to get home to EAT!!! I had to do 3 more saliva tests throughout the day. Unfortunately, because of them, I couldn't have a drop of coffee, tea, chocolate, cruciferous veggies, onions or garlic all day. The saliva tests were timed- morning, noon, afternoon, and midnight. They were checking my cortisol levels throughout the day as well as antibodies to eggs (Please God let that be negative), dairy, gliadin (gluten), and soy. There was a 5th saliva sample too- but that one you actually pour a little from your noon and afternoon ones into the vial. That one was for hormones (FSH and LH). It was a very long day. I couldn't eat for 60 mins prior to giving the sample. And since I tend to graze all day, I was irritable. Plus...did I mention I couldn't have coffee?

So, FedEx came to our house pick up the stool sample that day, and the saliva was sent via USPS the next day. It's just kind of weird to think that there's stuff like that being sent in the mail. Move over Anthrax?! ...At least the people receiving my samples are expecting them. Comforting.

I expect to hear from Dr. Matthews office in the next day or two because I'm sure my blood and urine tests are back. I'm looking forward to my results and new instructions...Mostly.

2 comments:

  1. HIlarious take on what you are going through. Loved your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell me how weird it is? I just made ATLL the same this week ! Stool test from Metametrix, Cortisol from Diagnostechs and H. Pylori breath from Metabolic solution. So, basically I have sent breath, saliva and stool through mail !!

    ReplyDelete

Do You Have Hypothyroidism?